There are quite a few legitimate single parent scholarship programs available, but they can be difficult to find. Begin your search by contacting local colleges and universities and checking our state-by-state listing of single parent scholarships. In addition, consider whether you might be eligible for the following national scholarship programs.
Note:To date, there appear to be few, if any, scholarship programs geared specifically toward single dads. If you know of one, or any other single parent scholarship programs that should be added to this list, please email the Guide to Single Parents.
- Raise the Nation offers scholarships for single moms and their children
- Options include student loan repayment grants, continuing education scholarships, and scholarships for children raised by single moms
- There is a one-time $20 application processing fee
Edited to Add: I have received several emails claiming that Raise the Nation is either no longer in operation, or is not a legitimate organization. I have made several attempts to contact them directly and have received no response. I will leave this information posted until I am able to obtain more concrete information on the status of Raise the Nation. Meanwhile, I would advise readers to be cautious about sending money to this or any other scholarship organization.
- Sponsored by www.soroptimist.org
- Applications are accepted between July 1st and Dec. 1st only
- Applications must be submitted through your local region/state
- Applicants must be women, aged 35 or older
- Must be enrolled in an accredited program
- Applicants must show financial need and be considered low-income
- Provides a database of community-based programs
- Scroll down the list to find your state
- Locate Scholarships in red
- For women only
- Includes links to a variety of scholarship opportunities for women