1. Parenting
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

How To Establish Temporary Guardianship

Directions for Single Parents Who Need Temporary Guardianship Help


Grandparents Greeting Kids at Front Door.
Ariel Skelley/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images

At some point, there will come a time when you need to turn over the care of your children temporarily to another adult. For example, you may need to be out of town on business or need time to recuperate from a medical procedure. When this happens, you'll want to take the following steps to formally set up temporary guardianship.

  1. Determine whether you need to establish temporary guardianship. If you share custody with your child's other parent, then setting up temporary guardianship with another adult would not be necessary, as the other parent would most likely be the person caring for your children in your absence. So the first thing you need to do is determine whether you do, in fact, need to establish temporary guardianship with a trusted adult who is not your child's parent.

  2. Select a trusted adult to temporarily care for your children.
    Think of someone whom you trust completely and with whom your children are comfortable. This will likely be a person your children have already spent considerable time with, and may very well be a parent whose children are near to your children's ages.

  3. Ask this person whether he or she would be willing and able to care for your children temporarily.
    Don't make any assumptions here. Formally ask the potential temporary guardian whether he or she is available and would be willing to help.

  4. Discuss the specifics of your arrangement.
    Make sure you inform the temporary guardian of any medical concerns, including food allergies. In addition, you'll need to agree on things like sleeping arrangements, the administration of over-the-counter medications, and procedures for contacting you in an emergency.

  5. Complete a temporary guardianship agreement form.
    Print out a temporary guardianship agreement form and have it notarized. While you can fill out the information at the top of the form ahead of time, make sure that you do not sign the form until you are at the notary. (Most banks will perform this service free of charge.) Having the form notarized verifies that it is indeed your signature on the form, and ensures that your child's caregiver would be able to secure prompt medical treatment in your absence.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.