I'm planning on introducing my children to the person I've been dating. However, I'm not sure when would be the best time. Can you help me?
This is a common question, and it's one that many single parents wrestle with. While there is no "right or wrong" answer, you want to be certain that you've given your relationship a significant amount of time to grow and experience the natural fluctuations of ups and downs. However, the bottom line is that you must do what you feel is right for your children.
Considering the following factors may assist you in making a decision:
- The ages and emotional development of your children
- The length of time you've been dating
- The amount of time that has passed since the children perceived you as being "together" with the other parent
- How well you know this person personally
- What you know about him or her, if anything, from mutual friends
- How he or she handles stress and works through conflict
- How you plan to introduce him or her to your children
- Whether you both view this as a long-term relationship
- How quickly and easily your children get attached to other adults