As a single parent, you have to work hard to get by on one income. That means budgeting for expenses like groceries and gasoline. However, it's hard to budget for gas prices that keep going up and up. Don't give up hope, though. Shopping around for the cheapest gas prices in your area can help you save quite a bit of money.
For example, let's say you drive 1,000 miles per month, and your car's gas mileage is about 20 miles per gallon. Saving just $0.10 per gallon of gasoline would save you $50 a year!
Of course, it wouldn't be productive to compare prices by driving around town, so here are some online tools and suggestions to help you find the cheapest gas in your area and save on gas prices:
- Click on your state or providence
- Includes Canada
- Search by geographic location or gas station/brand
- See what other drivers in your area are saying
- Join in the discussion and enter up-to-the-minute gas prices as you see them
- A free service
- Shows high and low gas prices throughout the U.S.
- Helps you quickly find the lowest-priced gas right in your own area
- Costco is a food warehouse where you can purchase staples, such as toilet paper and chicken nuggets, at lower prices
- The membership fee is $50 per year
- Costco's gas prices tend to be at least $0.10 less than the lowest gas prices in the surrounding area
- Not every Costco includes a gas station, so you'll want to ask your local Costco warehouse before you sign up