1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Unfortunately, even today, a lot of assumptions get made about single parent families, such as:

• Single parent homes are "broken homes."

• Kids who grow up in single parent homes lack sufficient attention and supervision.

• Single parents who date aren't putting their kids first.

• Single parents don't know how to manage their kids' behavior or enforce consequences.

I hope you recognize how ridiculous and uninformed these statements are! When you hear stuff like that, directed right at you, or in general, how do you respond? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.

Share Your Story: What Hurtful Assumptions Have Been Made About You As a Single Parent?

Related:

Follow me on Twitter | Join my Facebook page

Comments
October 13, 2009 at 10:01 am
(1) Luciano Elementi says:

One of the most hurtful thing I hear is “Do you have custody?”
I am certainly no less of a parent!
The reality is that she has residency because she cheated with the system but that is too long of a story to explain.
I did not fight for it for selfless reasons: it is not beneficial for my child to see even more fighting…
Again too long to explain.
Since I am often with my daughter I just wish they skip the question. Period.

October 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(2) MN says:

I hate hearing people say that single parents are always on welfare! That they use their kids to get free money so that they dont have to work!! I work full time, school part time, and am not on ANY kind of assistance, thank you very much!!

October 13, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(3) Annie says:

That I did not teach my daughter enough about life. Like cooking, cleaning, taking part of the household chores and how to get along in life with these skills.
I do agree to a certain point, but I did what I needed and it was her that had to decide if she was ready to fill her head with this things are not.

October 13, 2009 at 3:09 pm
(4) Kristy says:

I hear a lot of comments made against single parents. The sad and true fact is there will always be people with opinions that may be hurtful, there will always be people who judge – no matter the situation. Everyone has a story…. Come on single parents – you can do it! Just stay focused and don’t let other or their opinions bring you down! I am a single mom of 2 incredible children and I have learned sooooooo much! Here is how I look at things – I don’t waste much time or engery on what OTHERS think, I know what I am about and that’s all that matters. I put as much as I can into my children and strive to give them the same opportunities as those with both parents in the picture. Yes, trying to balance mommyhood, work, and personal life can be a challenge but there is so much reward! Enjoy your children they are a gift from God. Good days and not so good days – that’s just how it goes but you must find the positive, after all you are all your children have!

October 13, 2009 at 5:23 pm
(5) Rebeccan3 says:

One of the most hurtful things someone said was kids without 2 parents turn out to be trouble. Um Excuse Me but I’ve been Mom & Dad to my kids for 15 years and we are all doing well. No trouble here!

October 13, 2009 at 9:41 pm
(6) bella says:

Broken home. I hate that phrase. There is nothing broken about my daughter’s and my home. We are both happier, more peaceful, safer, richer, connected, loving and loved in this single parent home than we could ever have been before.

October 14, 2009 at 2:23 am
(7) AD says:

1. Parents from two parent households who tell me they KNOW what it’s like because their spouse was gone for 2 weeks and they had to care for the kids alone.

2. Women who make it obvious I am not welcome at social events because they think I am man-hunting..and that “their men” are my prey…how stupid. I was cheated on, I don’t do that. It is amazing just how insecure women are.

3. Not being included, or invited to things because I don’t have a spouse

October 14, 2009 at 9:09 am
(8) Joel saywonyu says:

I am a parent and care much about my son and also his health as well but hate to hear people say to me “Your Son Is Not Sick” known that they are not doctor nor a medical person either but willing to come to me and stay a week because my son has die; Why? We Africans, most especially Liberians should stop this Ugly and Bad practice at all times and Save the State. Thank You.

October 14, 2009 at 11:03 am
(9) bonnie says:

I am a single parent to three kids. Two teenagers and an 8 yr old. I had the realization one day that I am not a SINGLE mom, I am a MOM. Society makes the “single mother” feel helpless, lost, crying on the couch eating chips all day raising her poor little children. No. I have a great family just the four of us. We have laughter, love, and hardships, but we are no more LESS than a family, than the ones with a dad (or mother) in the home. I am confident in the way I am raising my kids and I will not let the world make me feel broken by my circumstances. God is a father to the fatherless! Keep your held held hi :)

October 15, 2009 at 12:21 pm
(10) Manda says:

How about when you drop your kid off to catholic private pre-k and all the mom’s look at you like, how can this 21 year old single Mom afford to send her child HERE?? umm…excuse me, throw some hair color on those grays and realize that I work to send my kid here! I wish I could tell them that!!

October 16, 2009 at 12:49 am
(11) toadsmomma says:

A baby needs its daddy. If “daddy” wants to be part of baby’s life he can. I am not stopping that. He is.