Potential users of Plenty of Fish want to know whether the free online dating service is useful, or whether it's a waste of time. If you've used Plenty of Fish, take a moment to share your experiences with our readers.
Please Note: The opinions expressed on this page represent individual user's personal experiences, and are not necessarily representative of the views of the About.com Guide to Single Parents. If you have had a different experience with this company, either positive or negative, please share your thoughts with us by completing the form below.
POF is Major Waste of Time
- POF is a huge waste of time. I spent the last two weeks trying to meet this one girl for coffee. She agreed two weeks ago to meet. Whenever I set a day to meet her, she replies back with, “How are you?" or "My name is…" Personally, I think that is ridiculous that I can't simply meet someone in my own backyard like my parents and grandparents did. I know this is the 21st century, but it sucks big time that I can't meet anyone in my area who isn't into head games. I think I'll get out a pen and paper and learn to do automatic writing so that Spirit will give me the answer to the name and whereabouts of the one and only soul mate. I don't have to get turned down or stood up by 100 girls just to reach #101 to make it worth the long and painful task when I could fast-forward to that one and only without going through all the BS that life keeps dealing me.
- —Guest disappointed in pof
It's a free dating site?
- I was on POF for two weeks. I had lots of messages from guys. Some were nice, and some were distasteful--which I blocked. I had two dates. Both, sadly, were not genuine and actually did not want the same things I did. You have to have your wits about you and really screen the person first. I have come to the conclusion that there are both lots of good and bad people on there. It has scared me a bit but also taught me a good lesson in how careful you need to be; and think I'd prefer to join a site which charges, so maybe there are more genuine people on it.
- —Guest Rach
POF is Horrible!
- Okay, I have been on this damn site for a year now. I get tons of emails but all of the men are awful! I get pics of their private parts or guys that swear up and down they want a relationship but then when we finally speak on the phone it's all sex talk and "Hey can you send me more pics?" I have 11 pics on my profile...Up close and body pics so they can see I am in shape; yet they want more! I barely get a hello out of them and then it's on to the "Ya got more pics?" WTF? And so many of the profiles are fake! And then they say they will call and never do. I think it becomes an ego addiction for the men. They basically get addicted to seeing if there are new emails and new girls interested in them so they don't focus on just getting to know one good person. It's really sad and depressing because it makes you feel like there are no more good men in the world. And, yes, I think because it's free anybody and anything will be on there. I took my profile down!
- —Guest Aimee Webb
Found the Love of my Life in two hours
- In 2009, in December my sis visited and as she was leaving she said it's been 4 years, get on plenty of fish. She made me promise. That night I created my profile and submitted it. As a teacher, afraid of negative exposure I told myself my profile will Be active 2 hours then I'm closing it. After 90 min. I had over 38 emails from matches. I scanned through all and sent two people my personal email and said I'm closing my acct. if u want to contact, up to you. Within a week I went out with a chef. In a nearby city, and by the second date, we both knew that something happened. After years of being married and in other relationships this was the first time we had a unique experience because we knew we were meant to Be with each other. We will Be married this November 2012. I thought maybe My prince charming never found me, or didn't exist. Little did I know 2 hours on a website would make a difference. I had tried before other matchmaking websites, but now he found me.
- —Guest Tanya
POF is Loaded with Dead Fish
- I ran into a former co-worker on POF. His profile was fairly accurate regarding his likes and dislikes, but it was all about what he liked, not what he had to offer anyone. What he won't put in his profile is the fact that he doesn't pay his child support or taxes on time and is in major financial trouble even with a decent income. A good idea is to Google the username. You'll be surprised what comes up!
- —Guest Jackie
POF is a Joke
- I've been on Plenty of Fish (POF) for about two months now. Take my advice. This dating site is not a good place to meet someone if your looking for a serious relationship! The guys put up lying profiles. Most say they want long-term relationships. Then when you start talking to them, right off the bat they start talking about sex. But they use subtle methods to find out if you're loose or not. Then when you don't respond to their dirty conversations, they deliberately block you. Why? Because you're not a slut and they know it. I started talking to this one guy who started out his conversation with "xoxoxo," instead of a hello. I thought maybe that was just his way, but after about five minutes of chat, he said something that let me know what he was after, and I told him I'm not that type of woman. Then he got really mad and said, "I would rather hump a rat!" My best words of advice for him was to say that with that motive in mind, he shouldn't have a problem finding a rat to hump. Stay away from POF - it's full of sex addicts,losers and scammers.
Hit or Miss, but Nothing Serious (Sadly)
- I have just returned from deployment and have been talking to a girl I met on this site while overseas. Well, everything felt fine, and I was happy to meet her after talking for almost a whole year. She even went to go pick me up at the homecoming ceremony, and we spent the weekend together. Well, I was happy as hell because I thought I'd found "the one," but three weeks later, I end up having a panic attack and stressed out because one of her guy friends told her that I was supposedly cheating on her, and she believed him. In the end, he was ratted out by one of his pals, and he just wanted us to break up because he wanted to get in her pants. That weekend, she stopped talking to me, and pushed me away because I went out drinking with some friends. She said that I was being an alcoholic like her ex husband and wigged out. Anyway, that was just a bad experience. Other than that, I've talked to a couple of women here and there, but nothing concrete. I'm just trying to meet someone nice on there.
- —Guest 101stguy30
Sex, Sex, Sex
- I have been a POF (Plenty of Fish) member for less than two weeks. I have had many offers and two actual dates. Both dates were spontaneous and took place at around 8 pm. Both guys said in their profiles that they didn't want to jump in to bed with someone they did not know. Guess what? That's the only thing they both wanted! Both said they would call "tomorrow," and they didn't. They were right back on the site looking and chatting that same night. It is a great place to meet guys, but it's not for people who are looking for a long term relationship!
- —Guest karen
- At first it was a good site, but now that guy Marcus has all sorts of advertisements for escort sites and other dating/sexually explicit sites. Yet he kicks out the people who post their email addresses or phone numbers! Give me a break! Plus, if too many women block you because they don't want you to write them back after they made a nasty comment about you, he looks at the blocks as a form of harassment - that you're giving to the women - but it's them! The women that say nasty things and block you. Another big thing is their intimate section. There are ads there for blatant prostitution! Yet old Marcus turns a blind eye to these ads. The biggest thing is he makes countless monies from all the suckers that go on his site, because each time you go on, it's counted as a hit. And the more hits the site gets, the more he charges for advertisements on it. He's not doing this thing for free! Plus, I'd have to say that over 60% of those ads are more or less phony, because you seldom get replies. And the ones you do get want you to write them forever.
I Found the Love of My Life!!
- Back in '07 I started my account on Plenty of Fish (POF). I was on the site for maybe two weeks. I wasn't fond of the internet thing! But in those two weeks I was contacted by a guy who lived pretty close to me. So in those two weeks, we hit it off. But I told him I am really not into this internet thing, and that if he wanted to pursue this, "Here is my email..." After that we exchanged numbers and talked for two months and we've been inseparable ever since. We have been married now for almost two years and have known each other for a total of five years. He is the love of my life, and I wouldn't change anything for the world! Thank you, POF! POD!!! then that same week he emailed me. we exchanged #s ABC we rOles for 2 months
- —Guest blueeyes
POF is a joke
- I was on Plenty of Fish for about a minute. Most people on that site wouldn't get any attention in real life. They're just a bunch of lonely losers.
- —Guest petra
Funny POF Stories
- It's good to see some men with the same experiences! Yeah. I wanted get away from the bar scene, but I think I may have to return! I'm above average and I'm being deleted, but mostly put in the maybe pile. That's where they don't delete you, and you keep sending messages and receiving nothing. I feel all I'm doing is adding to their ego's! I'm done with POF.
- —Guest Ugggg!
It is What It is
- POF is not that bad of a site. I've met men off and on since 2007 on it. There is bad, and also good, about it. All the site can do is put us out there - it's up to us singles to make the right connection. Know that it's a tool, and the rest is entirely up to us. It takes two to tango; we can not tango alone. Keep fishing. Never give up! All things are possible, big and small. I feel that dating sites are like the new singles bar of the turn of the century, and most people are very visual and there needs to be communication with everyone on the same page. The site can work, and I know many couples that met through POF are now couples and have married. I feel this way: if you are in it for all the right reasons, up front about yourself and your needs, it can work. My experience has been, on a scale of one to ten, a five.
- —Guest fishnetstockings
- I have been on many dating sites ,including POF. I am above-average looking and have learned how to make a great profile. I have found that most women are only looking for a rich, perfect guy. Very few average women would even give me a chance!
- —Guest lee
Just the Most Boring Site I Ever Knew
- P.O.F is not so bad, it's just boring as hell. If the people on there had any sense, they would be careful about meeting anyone - anywhere, for that matter.
- —Guest Tequila