1. Parenting

Can I Claim My Daughter on My Taxes?

Submit an Entry: Child Support Questions

By CCnurse1008

About Me

Im a single parent to a 15-year-old girl. I'm a nurse and I've worked very hard to provide for her.

My Child Support Question

My ex husband and I have a marital agreement that says every other year we will take turns claiming our daughter on our taxes. Since I filed for child support a little over a year ago, he quit talking to her for several months and now only occasionally touches base. But he no longer takes her for weekend visits. My question is do I have to amend our agreement so I can claim her every year, or can I just do it since I'm the custodial parent?

Lessons Learned

  • My lesson is not to be so naive when it comes to legal issues regarding anything important.
  • Exes are exes for a reason. Keep that in mind during every process.

Jennifer Wolf, About.com Single Parents, says:

According to IRS guidelines, you would have the right to claim your daughter on your taxes, because she lives with you more than 50% of the time. However, I would recommend that you speak with an attorney in your state just to protect yourself in the event that you both attempted to claim her as a dependent.

©2015 About.com. All rights reserved.