Taking Care of Yourself
As a single parent, much of your energy is focused on taking care of your children. However, taking the time to take care of yourself, too, will give you greater energy for being the mom or dad you really want to be.
- Avoid Single Parent Burnout
- Quiz: Are You Taking Care of Yourself?
- Find Your Own "Me Time"
- Put Your Thoughts into a Journal
- Learn to Cope With Ongoing Stress
Support & Encouragement
The truth is that while you're raising your children on your own, you don't have to feel all alone. In fact, studies have shown that single parents who receive ongoing support and encouragement feel more successful in raising their children, so take advantage of the online and local resources available to you.
- Get Through the First Year as a Single Parent
- Could You Use Some Support?
- What to Look for in a Support Group
- Start a Single Parent Support Group
- Activities for Single Parent Support Groups
- How to Make Friends as a Single Parent
Dating as a Single Parent
A big part of your personal life can be, if you so choose, a dating or romantic life. Whether you're just beginning to date again, or you're now in a relationship and have questions about how to make it work, these resources are designed to help you create a smooth transition to dating.
- Before You Start Dating Again
- Find the Time to Date Again
- Get a New Perspective on Single Parent Dating
- Make Online Dating Fun & Safe
- Quiz: Are You Ready for Online Dating?
- Rate Online Dating Web Sites
- Protect Your Child From Predators When You Date
- When to Introduce Your Children to a Date
- How to Introduce Your Kids to That Special Someone
Manage Your Finances
As a single parent, it's up to you to manage your family's money well and learn to stretch every dollar. Here are some tips:
- Money Management Basics
- Cut Your Monthly Spending
- Critical Money-Saving Habits
- Programs to Help You Buy a Home
- Shop Tax-Free
Going Back to School
These days, most people end up changing jobs and even whole careers several times. At some point, you may decide to go back to school to earn a degree in a field that interests you or so that you can pursue opportunities which would provide greater financial security for your family. If this is something you want to pursue, know that there are scholarships and programs available to assist you.
- Sources of Scholarships for Single Parents
- Find the Right Single Parent Scholarship for You
- State-by-State Listing of Scholarships for Single Parents
- Tips for Single Moms and Dads Going Back to School
- Free Online Courses to Further Your Education
As the sole provider for your children, you bear tremendous responsibilities. At times, you may find that you need to look for additional sources of income in order to meet your family's needs, or even pursue a career change that will allow for greater income and potential benefits.