You may think your teen is too independent already, but take some time to think about what type of independence they have. How are they prepared for life ahead? To develop skills they'll need later, you can:
- Teach them how to do their own laundry and care for their clothes.
- Have them participate in making meals regularly.
- Follow through with consequences consistently so that your teenager learns to accept responsibility for his own actions.
- Teach your teens about Internet safety.
- Talk openly and honestly about sex.
- Model how to effectively resolve interpersonal conflicts.