For years now, I've been reluctant to take my kids' temperatures when they're sick, because they get so upset by it. In fact, it usually becomes such an issue that I've even wondered whether there physiologically isn't enough room under their tongues for the thermometer to fit comfortably. So each time, I end up taking their temperatures with a digital thermometer under their arms, but wondering whether the number is actually accurate.
A Better Digital Thermometer
Then, when my son came down with a bad summer flu--during the height of the swine flu epidemic--I came across a forehead thermometer that I had heard about. Frankly, buying it was a "splurge." It wasn't an item I "needed," but I figured that the peace of mind I would get from knowing my kids' temperatures, for sure, without the typical meltdowns that used to take place whenever I'd say the word "temperature," was well worth the $39 I paid.
How to Use the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
All you have to do is press the forehead thermometer to the center of your child's forehead, press the button, and swipe it all the way across to their temple before lifting it away from their head. That's it! It gives you an immediate, accurate reading of your child's temperature. You'll also hear a beep that lets you know the thermometer is working.
Drawbacks to the Exergen Forehead Thermometer
- Extreme room-to-room temperature variances can affect the accuracy of the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer. Therefore, if you're bringing the thermometer from a very cold room into an average room, you might need to wait a few minutes before getting an accurate reading.
- Similarly, my son has a goose-neck lamp attached to his bed that can become quite warm. When taking his temperature, I just have to make sure he hasn't been sitting under that lamp, or I may end up with an artificially high reading.
- If your kids sweat a lot in their sleep or while they're recovering from a fever, you'll need to adjust the manner in which you use the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer. Instead of removing the thermometer from their head just as you reach the temple area, you would need to bring it down behind their ear first, and then remove it. Directions for this step are included with the packaging materials, but it's something to be aware of if your kids tend to sweat a lot.
Benefits of the Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
- It's fast and accurate.
- It's just as easy to use on yourself as it is on your kids.
- It significantly reduces kids' anxieties about putting a thermometer under their tongues
- It allows you to take your kids' temperature while they're sleeping
- It comes with a 9-volt battery