When you schedule play dates for your child, think of them as free babysitting. As a single parent, this is a huge benefit to you. Not only do you get a few hours to yourself when your child is at a friend's house, but when you reciprocate the play date, you'll probably find that your child is so engaged in playing with his or friend, that you'll again have a few spare moments to relax or tackle some chores around the house. Here are a few reasons why it's a good idea to schedule play dates on a regular basis:
- It's absolutely guilt-free!
- It doesn't cost anything.
- Your kids will have a blast!
- It gives you time to be alone and think.
- Even anticipating that some free time is on the horizon will help you be more patient with your kids.
- It gives the kids an opportunity to practice using important social skills.
- You'll be demonstrating to your children that taking care of yourself is a priority, and that's a valuable lesson.
- Reciprocating the play date will give you an opportunity to get to know your child's friends.
- As the kids are playing, you'll be able to get some things done around the house.