Grab your calendar and schedule a weekly financial update meeting with yourself. This is an extremely important step in managing your personal finances, and it's one that you need to continue each and every week. During your "meeting" time:
- Pay any bills that are due.
- If your bank statement has arrived, take the time to balance your checkbook.
- Check the balances of your checking and savings accounts.
- Update your debt list to incorporate any recent payments.
- This is also a good time to write out your grocery shopping list and check what's on sale at your local grocery store this week (either using the store's Web site or the sales circular that comes in the newspaper).
- Finally, also make note of any upcoming expenses you need to anticipate and plan for.