Before you interview a potential babysitter for your kids, consider the qualities you consider most important. Are you looking for someone with experience, an excellent safety record, and reliable transportation? Or do you focus more on how the sitter interacts with your kids? Use the list of babysitter interview questions below to narrow down your search. Consider asking your ex to participate in the interview process, too, especially if you share joint legal custody with your ex.
Questions About Previous Experience
- What previous experience do you have?
- How many families have you regularly babysat for in the past?
- What are the ages of the children you've babysat for in the past?
- What is the most important thing you've learned from your previous babysitting experience?
- Why do you want to continue babysitting?
- Can you provide me with the names and addresses of three previous employers?
Questions About Your Rules
- Do you have any questions about our house rules?
- How will you enforce these rules?
- What will you do when the children try to bend or break the rules?
- How will you respond when the children follow the rules?
Questions About Handling Emergencies
- What experience do you have handling emergencies?
- What number would you call in an emergency?
- How would you reach me?
- What's the first thing you would do if there were a fire?
- What would you do if the electricity went out?
Questions About Play Time
- What games do you like to play with the kids?
- If I came home unexpectedly, what might you be doing?
- What will you do while the TV is off?
- How will you involve the kids with meals and snacks?
- What creative things do you like to do while you're babysitting?
Questions About Compensation
- What is the hourly rate that you charge for your services?
- How would you like to be paid, with cash or a check?
- How often do you expect to be paid?