1. Parenting
Jennifer Wolf

Could the Federal Government Shutdown Affect Child Support Payments?

By October 9, 2013

Signing a child support check.Bonnie writes: "I haven't received a child support payment since the federal government shutdown. What's going on?"

Bonnie's not the only one asking this question. Presumably, anyone who has been receiving child support payments should continue to receive them because child support agencies are state-run. However, recipients in some states have already begun to report delays. At this point, it's unclear why these delays are happening.

If your usual child support payment hasn't arrived on time, contact your local child support agency -- which should remain open for the foreseeable future. (Unfortunately, it's possible that states that run out of federal funding will eventually need to close temporarily or delay payments. But most states are reporting that that would only happen if the government shutdown were to go on for several months.)

One Caveat: Parents who do not yet have a child support order in place -- or who need the assistance of the Federal Child Support Enforcement Program in order to locate an out-of-state parent or pursue delinquent payments -- will not begin to receive payments until the government reopens.

Take Action: Contact your elected officials to voice your opinion and urge Congress to end the shutdown.

More on Child Support Enforcement:

Stay Connected on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Comments
April 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm
(1) Lex cruz says:

Child support should be the first agency to be cut off…it cost a fortune to operate such a ridiculous agency that twisted the child support program..

October 1, 2013 at 10:06 am
(2) Someone says:

Lex must be someone who has to pay out a lot of child support in order to say something like that. Excuse me, but I am a single working mother. If I didn’t get the child support taken out of my ex-husbands check he probably wouldn’t pay anything! He used to buy stuff our daughter didn’t like, couldn’t wear, or something I already had for her. I spent my money providing for her, and he didn’t want to give $, although she already had EVERYTHING she needed. So, I had to have help getting it with the Family Support Center!

October 3, 2013 at 7:54 am
(3) Jennifer says:

I understand that the State office that collects Child Support is not affected by the government shutdown. I have an order in place regarding child support. It comes directly out of the fathers paycheck. My question is this, my ex-husband is in the Navy, because he is a federal employee (military is still getting paid), how does the shutdown affect my child support for my son?

October 3, 2013 at 11:09 am
(4) TMcTear says:

I was wondering this same thing. I have not received my payment this week and my ex works for the USPS. The payments are automaticall deducted from his check. Do they not think it is important to notify the receipeints that checks will be delayed?

October 4, 2013 at 1:53 pm
(5) Ally says:

I am having the same issue my sons father is military and says that they already took the payment out but i have received nothing. This child support office when i called Wednesday told me to call back Monday to find anything out. This is the first month in the last 6 that there is no payment. It is extremely frustrating when working is not enough to cover everything not for a single parent anyways. It would be nice if they informed us of delays.

October 7, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(6) Krysta says:

I am having the same problem as mention.. my ex husband is AD and the money came out of his never but still hasnt hit my bank account.. I need to pay for daycare… anyone have suggestions to when I will get it?

October 8, 2013 at 10:12 am
(7) Samantha says:

I have a court hearing this month for Child Support so I can get money from the dad for our daughter I don’t know if it will be delayed I need to know something because WIC and Food Stamp’s they only have enough for this month and that’s what I count on to have I only go to college thru DHS I don’t have a job they wont let me till I’m done with college so if I don’t get the Child Support, WIC, Food Stamps I wont be able to get my daughter her basic needs and I don’t want her to go with out food she is only three months if I don’t get them ill just have to stop going to college an get a job.

October 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm
(8) Sheree says:

I am having the same problem! Child support is always on time and this month it is late. The father is in the army active duty and of course he doesn’t know about anything. The only reason he pays is because they take it out of his checks. It looks like we’re all having the same problem and nobody really knows any answers.

October 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(9) marcy says:

Was getting child support weekly faithfully until the gov shut down happened…havent had a payment since ???? They also were garnishing…

October 9, 2013 at 10:57 am
(10) Jenny says:

Same problem here! Called yesterday and they said it may be the 16th by the time we get it. Well…. pretty sure my daycare expense doesn’t go away and both my kids still need food in their stomachs and a roof over their heads… RIDICULOUS.

October 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm
(11) Roy says:

Wow, I am glad someone admits the truth and confirms what I already knew but was told otherwise. Once in my MANY go around’s with the Washington state of support enforcement I was told this verbatim in a conversation.

Me-Okay lady, now I am going to expose your lie. If you are a collection agency as you say why do the mailings I get say Washington state office of support enforcement.? letters you get from collection agencies are not affiliated with any state.

Support Enforcement Officer-Sir, again we don’t represent you or the custodial parent (ANOTHER LIE) we are just a collection agency.

What a sham they are! if they were not getting reimbursement from the federal government for each case they can successfully collect from I would love to see how long they stayed in business.

October 12, 2013 at 9:57 am
(12) jess says:

I thought it was jusy me. At this point im bout to be homeless and was counting on that check to pay a bill. Had me looking stupid because it didnt come on the 4 like it always does. It kills me that so many people are affected by this gov shutdown. Many people are working for free. Alot of people are not getting thier money. Some one needs to fix this. Never thought i would be affected by it. It has gone to far. So glad i didnt vote the last time around.

October 12, 2013 at 11:37 am
(13) Alexis says:

The absolute last entity that should be affected is the Attorney General’s office referencing child support payments. I have not received a child support payment either – RIDICULOUS!!!!

October 12, 2013 at 11:54 am
(14) Alexis says:

Child support should never be delayed for any reason!!! Unacceptable!!! I live in Houston and, of course, my child support payment is late as well, the payment has never been this late – thank you to our friendly government for assisting single parents with this issue (a little sarcasm noted).

October 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm
(15) Tracey says:

My Eppicard that my kids’ child support is deposited on quit working today. It was reject at stores and different ATMs. I know for a fact there is money on that card. I am in Georgia. I have a friend who has not even received her deposit yet and her card also does not work. These cards have nothing to do with the Food Stamp EBT cards, so why would the cards just stop working all of a sudden. It’s pretty embarrassing to be told that your card was rejected, when you know there is more than enough money on it to cover what you are buying. This is not the government’s money to be withholding right now!!

October 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(16) latasha Robinson says:

I live in Houston also and I haven’t received my payment which usually here on 3rd 4th or 5th no later…what doI do?

October 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm
(17) tracy says:

Perhaps parents shouldn’t be running out on their children and refusing to pay support on their own. If my ex has $500.00 a week to spend on his girlfriend then he sure as hell should be supporting his children. Love when you deadbeats put an expiration date on your children’s backs!

October 12, 2013 at 11:16 pm
(18) PJ says:

I love how women that collect child support often are the first to cry about how broke they are being a single mother, but often are the ones at stores using their support money to buy their own clothes, alcohol and in more cases than i care to think about, hit an atm to use their support for drugs. There are even more women, such as several examples just down the street from me that have used their bodies as baby factories with a half dozen baby daddies to support themselves with just the child support. Funds are getting low, time to get a new baby daddy to rake over the coals

October 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(19) sosa says:

All you women on this post need to get your lives together and stop depending on these guys checks.
What a shame you cant support yourself

October 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm
(20) Gale Silvers says:

I receive child support but it is paid in one state and then it is sent to another which is already delayed and takes forever so now what is going to happen?

October 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(21) LouiseC says:

I live in New Jersey and I received my FULL child support on time. My son’s father works for TSA and told me that I wasn’t going to receive anything because he has to work but was not getting paid.

October 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(22) Susan H. says:

I know in VA payments have to be received by the non-custodial parent by the 10th. Then 2 days must be allowed for posting. Unfortunately, the 10th was a Thursday leaving the 12th as a Sat when offices are closed. Then, today, Mon being the next work week day, is a holiday. So, all payments should be put on EPPI Cards by tomorrow morning. After that if not received, you should call number on card or local DCSE Agency. I know I will!

October 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm
(23) Susan H. says:

And as for you people criticising these moms or dads, shame on you. You must have no idea what its like. This money goes towards taking care of kids that the other parent, in my case and many others, does not live near or help and this is the only way to make sure that other parent helped in taking care of that child. That money may go towards food, rent, utilities…anything like that. Kids need all those things!! And if the custodial parent already pd those bills then yea, they can spend that $ however they want. I may not agree with what some ppl do, but still, the parent that has the child is certainly worthy of that very cheap pmt for support. If the child is not getting what they need then social services should be called by non-custodial parent.

October 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(24) country girl says:

I have to say i have three children there father has never paid child support for 8 years my husband now who help support them whom they call dady because he is. i understand both fathers here and mothers. my husband has court order to pay child support for his daughter and he does. i do feel that if you can lay down with a man or women you should support that child weather you love the other person or leave that your child not just theres remember these kids didnt chose there parents its not there faught take care of you responsibilitys. and for the government to delay these parents payments is crazy you cant tax childsupport its not your money to. there are honest people out there who do pay and if your still holding it out of these peoples checks where is there money at. that the question to be asking here people i wouldnt be worried about why is it not there. i be worried about what are they doing with your money why are they holding it out of checks if there not sending it to the parents. and for you dads that got something to say about these mothers here you know u prombly havin to pay u should of thought about it before you layed down that your blood to and there some dads out there that have moms paying so you all need to grow up dont be downing these moms. dont be name calling or worried about what they do with this money should thought about that before hand and not have to worry about it. and i no there are some moms out there that do use these kids for money. but remember they will grow up and they will find out. and for the ones who had kids out of wed lock and have to pay but has no rites to the child i do not agree with that i think that is un fair to the other parent no one should have to pay and not be able to see that child with out the other parent sayin so. i think if child support is issued they should also set visitation up for that parent along in the order with child support then i think all the parents whom didnt marry would mind paying

October 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm
(25) country girl says:

i agree with all people here but where the money going if the parents are not getting it then why are they still taking it out of peoples checks. You cant tax child support. So there for these parents should receive there money especially if your still holding it out. i have three kids there father has not paid onee cent for 8 yrs i was married to him its in divorce papers and child support has it also. although i never seen any money from him i am married to someone who has to pay and if your going to hold the money out why are you not giving it to the other parent. where is the money going should be the question here what are they doing with it. and for you dads on here name calling i do feel for you you are prombly ones whom wasnt marrid and a child and ordered to pay but have no rites to the child i do not think that is fair i think if child support is going to order you to pay then they should also set visitation up in the order to its not fair to the ones who do pay and can only see the child if the other allows you. that not rite. if somone pays you bc u say that there child and proven to be and court order to pay support then by god you should order the other parents the rite to have visitation to see that child.

October 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(26) Alexis says:

STILL NO CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENT IN HOUSTON!!!! ISN’T THERE SOME TYPE OF ADVOCATE GROUP FOR CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS!!! Why is the Texas Attorney General completely unconcerned about late payments or the fact that many parents and children are not receiving payments since the shutdown?

October 15, 2013 at 2:23 am
(27) wayne says:

None of this would be an issue if parents could learn not to think of themselves so much when relationships end in the first place. We have to (growup!!!!) There wouldnt be a need for a childs finances to be regulated by someone else. There is alot of people that want to take care of there kids but fall victim to the circumstances of a person with serious issues (man or woman). In the end labeled as a deadbeet. To many people take advantage for this system to work..The kids or affected the most!

October 15, 2013 at 5:57 am
(28) Mom says:

My daughter was getting her support weekly until the shutdown. Dad receives ssd.

October 15, 2013 at 9:24 am
(29) Moxie says:

No support since shutdown here in Illinois

October 15, 2013 at 10:37 am
(30) Dan V says:

I haven’t received any child support sense the government shutdown and I’m in Wisconsin. LESSON #1 NEVER TRUST THE GOVERNMENT – We the people need to protest and start rioting!

October 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm
(31) Stacey says:

I’m in Florida and have not received a payment since the shut down.

October 15, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(32) Christine says:

My husbands wages are garnished not paid by DCF or should I say DFC don’t F***** Care. The state is not my sons daddy. They are just an enforcement to make him pay ~ which by the way is not enough $550 that includes back support. He supports hookers & gambling. His food, gas & hotel are payed for. so what bills does he have? and after 10 years of hell I paid for a divorce after discovering sex with transsexuals on his phone & E-mail. He keep last 2 tax returns which is outrageous since my son lives with me. He would have stayed married as long as he could so he could keep on not paying anything at all. He was leaching off me & my family. btw who supported us while the court system took it’s sweet time. It took a year to get anything.So you people who think Child support is not important F U.. walk a mile in my shoes Jackass.

October 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(33) Alexis says:

Please post in you live in the Houston area and have not received child support payments for the month of October due to the shutdown? October 15 and still no child support payment!!!!!

October 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(34) priscilla says:

Same here i haven’t received anything and I’m from California, and i don’t know whats going on . Its stupid for the government to delay our children’s money .Ridiculous!!

October 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(35) Dawn B says:

I am owed $33,000.00 in child support, My X was arrested and bailed out, for $1000.00. When this happens once a year if I am lucky I receive the bail money!! Not this time, he paid because he is out, no money put on my child support card!!!!! Thanks a lot US Government!!! Why are al the supposedly unaffected programs being affected???? This is no way a coincidence!!! Someone needs to answer for this!!!

October 16, 2013 at 12:01 am
(36) yes I work says:

Late in VA too but this is for the nasty remarks against
needing the child support. I hope the bitterness is because
your ex took your sorry ass to court and the judge made you
get a damn job or go to jail..That’s all carry on.

October 16, 2013 at 2:42 am
(37) Gov in USA sucks says:

Wow the gov in the states it awful. Proud to be canadian

October 16, 2013 at 3:49 am
(38) ModestModesty says:

I’m another Illinois mom. No support payments for 2 cycles. Daughters dad works for Amtrak and he is being garnished. He was nice enough to bring $75 to help in the meantime but sheesh I’m $733 short for October. I sure hope something happens and soon. My husband works for USPS being garnished but no payment to his kid

October 16, 2013 at 8:24 am
(39) Jessica says:

Child support in my case should have been issued Tues. but I haven’t received anything since Oct. 2, I live in WV…I hope they get this straightened out soon!

October 16, 2013 at 8:49 am
(40) Moxie says:

Update: received a payment today. still 2 behind but one is better than none i suppose. (in illinois)

October 16, 2013 at 9:33 am
(41) Same in MO says:

Same thing here…I get a check every Thursday, haven’t had one since the government shutdown.

October 16, 2013 at 9:46 am
(42) star says:

i live in san antonio but my child support comes from washington haven’t received since government shutdown too, and for the people that say do it on your own obviously don’t realize even with a $16 an hour job you can’t do it on your own with paying $800 a month in daycare for two kids plus food, rent, utilities, toiletries, kids clothes ect child support is needed. Not like every relationship works out with a father, and most moms are left to do 100% of everything for there children like missing work when they are sick or have dr appointments, paying daycare, medical and everything else for child.

October 16, 2013 at 9:59 am
(43) MoMoF3 says:

SIngle mom of 3 growing boys (12, 10, 4) in Florida. I sent my child support application in 2 weeks before the shutdown. Seems like they kind of knew this was going to happen. They have not processed my application and when I call to follow up, they ask (automated) for my SSN and they don’t have it on file..so, that tells me they have not processed it OR my application is lost with all those vital, personal information. I am livid. When you hold on the line to speak with a representative, it says the hold time is less than 30 mins. Well played, Florida. I’ve gone as long as 15-20 minutes and that’s during my break at work. It is safe for me to presume that they are not processing any new child support enforcement applications until after the shut down and only if they have the funding available.

No problem though. I still have a job, my bills keep coming, my boys will keep growing, and their father will just help when it is convenient for him. I know I chose to be with this man and have 3 boys with him, and while we chose not to be together anymore, that does not mean he is no longer responsible for the children we made together. We are both financially responsible for our children and it isn’t fair to the children or to myself that only I should provide everything for them, i.e. food, shelter, clothing, doctor visits, emergency visits, afterschool care, snacks, activities, dentist, health insurance, the list goes on and on and on. I put my big girl pants on when my first child was born and to this day and forevermore until the big guy upstairs strikes me dead. Man up! Rant. Over.

October 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(44) SINCity33 says:

In Nevada and there are delays here too, Only a few days behind so far. The City was going after one of my kids father drivers license and that looks to be put on hold ” lucky him” buys him more time to keep his money…

October 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(45) kentucky says:

I am raising ny nephews because there parents r drug addicts and a waste of oxygen they r suppose to psy child support but I havent received any either. I have 4 of my own kids and my husband and I work very hard to provide for all the children. Its just not right. That money y very little pays for our nephews daycare so we can work. This is bull.

October 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(46) Stacy says:

No child support on Eppicard since shutdown in Utah either.

October 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm
(47) Anon says:

Get a job you lazy incompetent, mothers of future rapists, juvenile deliquents and criminals!

October 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(48) FL Mom says:

I live in FL, my x lives in VA & works for INS in DC. No payments here since Sept. Not sure when I will get it. However, the government is supposed to re-open tomorrow if all goes well, so we’ll see.
………..Does the government make back payments, or are they exempt from those??

October 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(49) FL Mom says:

Excuse me ANON, just bc a parent needs and receives cs does not make their child any more a future rapist, juvenile delinquent or criminal. Nor does it make the parent a lazy incompetent. Those two ideologies are completely separate from one another.
Parenting a child takes $ and care, lack of care (such as in ignoring your child, teaching them to do drugs, sexually mistreating them, ect) from a parent causes children to grown into rapists, juvenile delinquents or criminals.
A parent who is absent bc they are working multiple jobs bc deadbeat dads aren’t paying cs have a more difficult time keeping their children out of trouble, but most of them figure out a way to do it.
So lay off ANON, or are you one of the deadbeat dads who refuse to pay cs & help care for their child(ren)?

October 16, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(50) marriedcouple2013 says:

I hope the government stays shutdown, and ladies you should be ashamed having children out of wedlock you and your children are a burden to the rest of us tax payers who were responsible and handled our responsibility because of your insistance to sleep around divorce is up teen pregnancy and juvenile deliquency is up and tax payers are being fleeced to support these bloated government programs like child support enforcement and welfare and other entitlements programs i hope it last and you suffer just like everyone else does to fund Your irresponsible ways!

October 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm
(51) Anon says:

No dont have any children and i have seen what cs does to Ncps and their children since i work in the family court system and have seen first hand what single women are quite incapable of so you shove it and spare me the tired worn out feminist arguements.

October 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(52) Anon says:

FL mom did i strike a nerve with you what i said must have some truth because you clearly got offended. Sorry you dont have enough for your ciggarettes and oxcyodine perhaps you should get a job or multiple ones get off the government dole.

October 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm
(53) FL Mom says:

First of all ANON, I do not smoke or do drugs, never have. I take responsibility for my children & teach them to take responsibility for their actions as well. However, (and this is for married couple 2013 as well) I have an ex-husband bc he chose to be unfaithful and physically abusive. I, nor my children, are no more a burden on this society than you & your narrow mindedness. Not all people receiving cs are crack–whores, druggies, etc… Most of us have carriers and are upstanding citizens.
The reason your ridiculous comments struck a chord with me is bc you are judging and demeaning a whole group of innocent children who have yet to grow up & “prove” themselves. and further more, I know plenty of people from 2 parent homes who turned out to be complete miscreants! So before you decide to demean an entire generation of people and judge a group you know nothing about, look in the flipping mirror bc it seems your talking about yourself!
Jerks!

October 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm
(54) Anon says:

Fl mom whose the one not recieving child support whose the one divorced whose the one on the government dole? I looked in the mirror and saw a successful educated man who is still getting paid and depends on no one what do you see in looking back at you? I know a worn out welfare non working bitter woman with three lids she cant afford living off of her ex the gov and has the audacity to talk about narrow mindess good luck you and the rest if the welfare queens feeding your spawn.

October 16, 2013 at 6:40 pm
(55) Carol says:

No child support since September. Did not receive child support payment in July, double payment to me in August. Apparently the office here in Texas doesn’t have but 1 person doing the depositing? I think he/she goes on vacation in July and then catches everything up on August. I receive a whopping $123/month for back child support and he owes me $41k plus change. It doesn’t go anywhere because of penalties & interest on it. He was the idiot that refused to pay me when it was needed accusing me of using it for myself…I worked and still do work, but it’s almost impossible after paying rent & utilities to get the proper foods (no food stamps) let alone buy them clothes. Grandparents were more of parents to the kids….people who go off on single mothers crying about child support should be ashamed of themselves, takes 2 to tango not just 1.

October 16, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(56) Anon says:

Carol who cares honestly there are more pressing concerns than whether or not you and single moms can support their kids people are tired of walking into a grocery store and seeing a woman with three kids and on one the way dressed to the nines with bad ass disrespectful kids running around and they are buying shrimp steak ciggs etc while working families have to cut into savings just to make ends meet.While people like you and the rest of the single moms get assistance housing cs education help etc who pays for it the tax payers married couples single men and women people are tired of subsidizing your recklessness ncps get held accountable they go to jail pay fines end up homeless etc but single parent women dont we foot the bill while you spread em for the nice sucker so no i dont have to be ashamed you and Your entitlement grabbing ass should!

October 16, 2013 at 8:30 pm
(57) Aquarius05 says:

Someone real ignorant and bitter!!! I think we all know who it is!!!!

October 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(58) LAYLA says:

This just what I thought was going to happen. I didn’t get my child support this month eiher. But they is say, that it’s not because of the shutdown. THATS A BIG LIE! Ihate to look for my kids child support, and it isn’t there. My kids father is a formen at a ship yard here in Greenville, Ms. He told me that they took it out of his check. So now all I want to know, where is it, if I am not receiving it,

October 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm
(59) Jennifer Wolf says:

Wow! Let’s remember that it takes two people to make a relationship work and ONE to end it. The vast majority of single moms in this country NEVER expected to raise their children alone. This kind of judgement thrives on ignorance. Would you be willing to be part of the solution, instead? I encourage you to get to know the single moms and dads in your life, your neighborhood, your workplace. I bet they’re some of the most inspiring and committed individuals you’ll every meet! If you really want to change this country for the better, stand alongside people who are hurting — like the moms and dads you’re judging — and let them know that the hard work they’re doing matters. Passing judgment does nothing constructive, but a kind word? Encouragement?! You’ve no idea what a difference that would make!

October 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm
(60) Peggi says:

Anon ….. for a well educated man, you sure don’t know how to use punctuation in your sentences! Just how educated are you – 2nd grade???

October 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm
(61) Mario112 says:

Anon has a point his lack of punctuation isnt the issue. I’m tired of going to the grocery store to feed my family on a budget but see welfare participants buying ciggs steak and high end food items driving off in really nice cars and yes they happen to be single parent women with multiple kids…Taxpayers are fed up with this and the only ones who don’t seem to have a problem with single parents gaming the system are the ones attacking Anon. You dont have the right to my hard earned money to live in section 8 housing financed by taxpayer dollars nor Snap Wic etc those are entitlements you didnt earn. Be responsible get a real job go to school and be something but, dont bust Anon because he speaks what alot of people are afraid to say.

October 17, 2013 at 3:50 am
(62) Becky says:

To ANON & OTHERS I work over 40 hours a week in health care, I don’t get food stamps, I pay out of pocket for my children’s health care & get no government assistance whatsoever but lousy $
150 buck a month I get from my ex pays for my gas to get to work, pays for my kids lunch & it’s much needed.
Also this thread is about CHILD SUPPORT not GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE for someone claiming to be educated you don’t seem to know the difference. The money I get comes from their FATHER not Uncle Sam there’s a big difference. My kids deserve the best life that their FATHER & I can give them whether we are still together or not

October 17, 2013 at 3:53 am
(63) Becky says:

I fully support my kids other than the $150, hell my child care costs are more than that,
I am from Oregon & I have missed 2 payments since the shutdown

October 17, 2013 at 4:00 am
(64) Becky says:

ANON,
If you don’t have kids why are you trolling a child support discussion at the bottom of an article about child support & the shutdown
Where ever you got your education you should ask for your $$ back, and I highly doubt that you work in a courthouse in any capacity other than janitorial work

October 17, 2013 at 9:34 am
(65) Britty says:

I was actually receiving payments just fine up until last week in Pennsylvania. Then suddenly… this week, NOTHING. So I contacted my ex and he said it was taken out of his paycheck as usual. I believe him because in the past I was able to get him to send me pictures of the paycheck as proof whenever I had an issue with something. But this week, NOTHING. I do work but I only just started a new job, and use the support money for groceries weekly or random clothing items my son needs. I don’t understand how some states haven’t received for weeks since the shutdown, but I received just fine up until this week. This makes absolutely no sense to me!

October 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(66) Carol says:

To Anon:

You know me? You just made accusations towards me that are completely off the charts! First of all I’m not going to put anyone down, but I don’t like seeing ANYONE..women OR men taking advantage of the system. I work a full-time job, no food stamps, no assistance of any kind from the government and never have except when I got laid off for 3 months and I did receive food stamps to supplement my unemployment because “DEADBEAT DAD” wasn’t paying out. I never had a “savings account” to dip into, we were down to budgeting big time in the beginning….have you ever budgeted so hard that you were making refried beans from scratch and eating burritos every single day? Well, we were because deadbeat refused to pay child support. I have no respect for people that judge others.

October 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(67) Carol says:

Continued message: I do not get my hair done or nails done, my money went towards my kids getting their hair cut. I do currently drive a 2008 ford focus because I’ve worked hard for that car. Maybe all you men should think twice before dipping the stick!! All I want is what the deadbeat owes me and that’s it. I paid out the money to support my kids since day one while he sat on his loser ass and did drugs, of course I left him…I’d rather support 2 real children than a grown “man” that is capable of taking care of his kids but doesn’t want to. It was extremely selfish and he still lies to the kids and doesn’t pay up! Anon & Mario you should be very careful when you start catagorizing everyone by what you’ve seen in person! Don’t put labels where they don’t belong, and by the way I see that I am more educated than Anon because my punctuation is by far better that his/hers (I think it’s a he by the stupidity level). You bash single moms I’ll bash men! Oh yeah, and Mario I don’t get Section 8, HUD, utility assistance, food stamps, welfare money or medicaid or any other government assistance….NOT all single mothers do. I have seen loser single mothers a lot and it makes me sick….BUT DO NOT JUDGE OR LABEL OTHERS!

October 19, 2013 at 2:02 am
(68) Sneezie says:

Anybody receive their support yet since the govt. started up again?

October 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm
(69) NotCool2Judge says:

Wow. So what you are saying is that all single mothers are on gov’t assistance. Hold on for this newsflash Anon and Mario: Child support does NOT come from the government. It comes from the NCP who has an obligation to assist financially. I have never been on public assistance and I am a single mom who works 3 (yes THREE) jobs to support my child. Oh yeah, did I mention that I also go to school as well? And no, it is NOT on the governments dime. I also do not, nor have I ever, smoked, drank, or used drugs. So before you stereotype, which is exactly what you are doing, know what your are talking about. You both clearly don’t.

Also, my ex and I get along just fine and he has to problems supporting his son. He actually will buy other items for his child as he sees the need. Why? Because he is a father who loves his child and puts him first. We both do.

October 19, 2013 at 8:37 pm
(70) D says:

I haven’t received a payment since September. I support my children an I we’ll. i do not depend on this check. I do use it to put away for my sons well being since he is now 13 and 5 years away from going to collage. I ex owes it to his son to at least give him that since he hasn’t been around his whole life not even a call. If he don’t pay oh well but if the government is keeping the money from all the garnishments I will be !!!!!

October 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(71) Wow says:

Wow people are ready to spit on single parents who are supporting there kids butt the ahole that decide to not pay for the kids or ones that do or parents that are not there. Nothing said about them. Also all these un educated people that are so judgemental on people which they know nothing on how there lives are. I make over 90k a year receive payments pay my taxes an work my ass off to support my kids. So all people that receive money are not like you say. Get you head out of you butt and stick to the point why haven’t we received the payments that were garnished from are ex but not received to the proper hands to are children’s needs.

October 21, 2013 at 8:44 am
(72) KB says:

I live in the Houston area and have not received my child support either.. My children’s father said they took it out his check but I have yer to recieve it and I always get mine in time. They will definitely be hearing from me soon as they open!

October 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm
(73) Mc says:

In texas everyone I KNOW THATS GETS CHILD SUPPORT IS NOT GETTING IT RIGHT NOW, Any word on when they will start senting checks to the texas debit card?

October 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(74) Becky says:

Still haven’t received anything here in Oregon either

October 27, 2013 at 11:42 am
(75) Brenda says:

October 27th and still no payment here in FL. Also on e-service site when clicking on info for support case past due amount shown (which site says updates daily) has not changed at all. Only one phone number to contact and I have been on hold over 45 min and not gotten through. Hard to sit on hold for that long when you are at work. FYI for those who think single parents seeking for the other parent of their children are somehow undeserving of support – support in FL is determined by a calculation based on income of both parents and the cost of raising said children. I don’t know about the rest of you, but mine do not survive on air and empty promises, they require food and clothing and lots of other things that they are well entitled to. Does anyone have any updates on what is with this delay??

October 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm
(76) chasie says:

I am located in Tennessee. The last child support I received was September 23rd for fifty dollars. I also work in the healthcare field and do not receive assistance from the government. Yet we would like to see my sons child support. It helps me be able to get him little extras.

November 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(77) Mel says:

It’s been One month and I still haven’t rcvd my child support payment card. I truly believe that I have been involved in the government shut down. I’ve contacted my local child support office and they continue to say; “It’s on the way”. Nothing has yet to arrive from them. Although one of my friends has rcvd her payment card, but she still was a Victim of this as well. Once her card arrived it had total of One Month worth of Payments due too the Delay. Hopefully they work it out. I left this message so Parents across the World would know that they are not alone in the struggle. I too am A victim of this Delay!

November 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm
(78) nessa says:

I to haven’t received my childsupport in the month of October. So i know its got to do with the government shutdown and the ones saying its not lieing cause its strange getting it every month and then government shutdown NOTHING!!!!!STRANGE YOU THINK?????

November 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(79) Moi says:

Consistent for 3 years and after the shutdown nothing!!! I’m still waiting… Smh

November 11, 2013 at 6:26 am
(80) nessa says:

WHERE IS MY CHILDSUPPORT MONEY!!!!!!!!

December 31, 2013 at 2:53 am
(81) Jacqueline says:

It certainly does not seem like The Texas Attorney General’s Office holds the best interest of the child and mother in mind. For years I went without child support run around, not because I didn’t file for it, because I kept getting told they couldn’t find him or he wasn’t working. I went through all the court room drama which was suppose to get him to pay. Many of the meetings I was there alone, being told they couldn’t do anything without his consent or they would have to get the judge to sign off on it. And these were times when he was working. I even got tired of the merry go round when my daughter was young and allowed one of the enforcing agencies to go after the money for me, and they actually got me some money, and some for themselves, until he quit working. Three years ago I found out when when his second ex-wife passed away, that they actually drop the case and he doesn’t have to pay anything. And would you believe they thought it was me and closed my case. I had to write like crazy to get them to re-open my case. He still owes arrears, she’s twenty-six now and her dad still owes. I tried at one point waving some since he was so far behind, in a good faith attempt to show him, I’m working, I just need help with your daughter. If it was for my God, my mother and father and family we would have been out in the cold. So at this point I still want what’s owed, she wants to get married now and has college loans to pay off. This story will end well. She get her master’s degree in May 2014!!!

Its time to some new procedures: Offer life insurance policies, dead beat fathers and/or mother’s in arrears would have to sign up for and keep up. Child support , the IRS, DPS, and various utility companies need to link up. Working together, I’m sure they would find several. My ex worked in Austin Texas for years, without paying. He never loss a license, driver’s or professional. And supposedly went jail twice due to non payment of child support.

January 8, 2014 at 1:53 am
(82) NMC says:

How does Child Support from a child’s Non-custodial parent=Welfare $ from tax payers….you people trash talking custodial parents who refuse to pony up all the many dollars caring for children costs alone by themselves are big idiots! I work 40 hours a week at a job that I hate, earning $15/hour before taxes, don’t receive food stamps at all & still can’t cover the costs of caring for my child without her father’s help.

January 8, 2014 at 6:29 pm
(83) Captodg says:

I was looking for information about why my child support payments have been late for about 6 months now. Used to receive it promptly but due to this issue am paying my rent late monthly. Landlord is getting pissed and I have NO explanation to give her. I guess I’m not the only one dealing with this issue right now.

January 16, 2014 at 4:10 pm
(84) Marvin says:

Now i understand the fact men have to pay for child support if he is not current and always around the child like in some situations but if there was a situation in which there is a male.whos trying to get in be around there and the babies mother doesnt want to leave there son with father due to the fact the male has a sagnificant other and cause she just dont want to leave the child with the father to spend time with his child.and then changed numbers before christmas when he was to visit and havent heard from since what can i do to start to get more visitation rights..

January 17, 2014 at 12:52 am
(85) MissTracy says:

My ex- husband has child support automatically taken out of his paychecks. Countless times the payments to my Eppi card have been late even by a month. I want to tell the custodial parents that in some cases it is your exes employment not paying instead of him. This has happened to him at two different jobs. Businesses are sitting on this money using it as a safety acct. because they think no one will call their bluff. Just thought I would let you know.

February 6, 2014 at 10:11 am
(86) Carol says:

No payment for October & November of 2013. I waited until December 13, 2013 to finally send a complaint email to the Texas OAG. A deposit of “double” payment was put into my account on 12/19/13, then I received an email stating a payment has been deposited. They also said they had no record of a current employer for my ex, ok how did were they able to deposit a double payment then? The support orders are for garnishment! Now here it is February and no payment since December, so I sent another email to Texas OAG complaining about the inconsistencies of my payments, etc. I still haven’t heard from them. Something is wrong with the system somewhere! Good luck to all you custodial parents out there and hang in there…I know it’s extremely hard with the economy the way it is.