Schools in several states -- including Kentucky, Minnesota, and Oklahoma -- have already begun to announce flu-related closings for the coming week. And while the approach is reasonable, it has lots of parents scrambling for last-minute child care.
So what's your plan? If you're in a pinch, or you haven't begun to think about backup child care plans just yet, consider the following options:
- Is there a family member nearby who would be willing to babysit your children?
- Is there a neighbor who could look after them while you're at work?
- Do your kids have a friend or classmate they could spend the day with?
- Is there a friend with whom you could coordinate care (by either swapping sick days or working opposite schedules)?
Planning ahead will save you lots of stress when it's your kids' school district making the decision to close. And if the flu epidemic passes you by without a hitch, use your backup child care plans for the next snow day!
- Create a Plan for Dealing With Sick Days
- Creative Ways to Pick Up Cold Remedies (Without Carting Your Kids into the Store)
- Review: Exergen Forehead Thermometer