HBO is running a documentary this month called Don't Divorce Me! Kids' Rules for Parents on Divorce. I first heard about it from my colleague, Cathy Meyer, who writes the Divorce Support site here at About.com.
Basically, it's a 30-minute documentary featuring real kids brave kids! who share, on-camera, how they've been affected by their parents' divorce. Along the way, the kids hold up hand-written signs with "rules" they'd like their parents to abide by, like:
- Let us see each parent equally.
- Try to live close to each other.
- Learn to get along for our sake.
- Tell us it's not our fault.
- Tell me you love me.
- Don't fight with each other in front of me.
- Don't ask me to spy.
If you have access to HBO On Demand, Don't Divorce Me! is available through Sunday. It's an eye-opening piece for parents who want to know more about what the divorce experience is really like for kids.
And if you're up for watching it with your kiddos, consider it a conversation starter. Your children may not be willing to share immediately, but ask them to think about what rules they'd come up with for you, if they were the ones holding the poster board.
- Effects of Divorce on Children
- 5 Ways to Raise Resilient Children
- 5 Ways to Help Your Kids Manage the Effects of Divorce
- HBO Takes on Kids and Divorce
© Keiji Iwai/Getty Images