1. Parenting
Jennifer Wolf

Best Cities for Single Moms

By May 9, 2011

A single mom prepares to move her kids across the country.The real estate web site Zillow.com released a list of the 10 Best Places for Single Moms to Live. Cities that made the list were chosen for their access to affordable housing, good public schools, fair wages for women (when compared to men), relatively low crime rates, commuting times, and general walkability.

The list includes:

1. Rochester, New York
  2. Port St. Lucie, Florida
  3. Bakersfield, California
  4. Ann Arbor, Michigan
  5. Fort Myers, Florida
  6. Fresno, California
  7. Green Bay, Wisconsin
  8. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  9. Lincoln, Nebraska
  10. Des Moines, Iowa

What Do You Think? What do you look for in a place to live? And do you believe your city and/or state is a particularly good place to live for single moms? Why or why not? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

More on Where You Live:

Photo Tom Grill / Getty Images

Stay Connected on: Facebook | Twitter

Comments
May 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(1) Donna says:

As a single parent all of those things are important, but I think that the best city to live in is the one that has the most family support. If you and your ex get along, you should both try to stay in the same city.

If you have close family and friends, you’d want to stay close to them as you most definitely will be glad you have the extra help.

August 28, 2011 at 1:43 am
(2) Jenn says:

As a California native and a single mom, I can tell you that two of the last cities I would ever think to live in made this list…Bakersfield is #3 in the nation?? Have you ever been to Bakersfield? And Fresno…come on now!!! Maybe if you are going on cost of living alone, you could say these are the best cities. But what about quality of life? There is a reason for their low cost of living…because they are sucky little towns for the most part!

March 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm
(3) Elisabeth says:

I so agree with the former poster about Bakersfield & Fresno, CA. I am a single Mom to a 10 month old. My babies father FLED the moment he found out I was pregnant & has not seen nor inquired about his child. I currently live in the Central Valley (Stockton/Modesto) area of California and intend to move ASAP. I have zero family here. I moved here after taking care of my Mother in Orange County, CA. When she passed I had to find someplace affordable. Well affordable towns/cities can be CRAPPY!
Family (even if it is just cousins) is important to have when raising a child alone. I’ll be going back to the Midwest soon!

February 5, 2013 at 1:37 am
(4) Melissa says:

Looking up this info because at 46…. I’m about to BE a single parent to a two year old! And am out of my mind with fear! Have never had children before & this “second” marriage isnt working. Am looking for best housing, the most I can get out of ANY & ALL single parent assistance programs. My mom isn’t going to help, I don’t want to move back to La., but I do have 2 grown nieces there that could & would help. Also a life long friend in Fl.
Baby’s father WILL pay child support, he loves her dearly. Will never let her do without.
What in the world am I gonna do & WHERE do I start’? Where should I go set down roots?

May 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm
(5) Ravencharmaine says:

I am a single mom and currently live in the clovis/ fresno area and it isn’t a bad “little” city at all. There are some bad parts in the city but that’s just like any other city. There are more great affordable sides to the city than people know. It’s easy to meet people and ask their opinion, usually it’s always the same thing stay away from living in downtown, everywhere else is a-okay. They have great programs for single parents including schooling, yeah they may or may not have similar programs in other cities but hey I can afford my rent without living paycheck to paycheck. The people here are overall nice people as well and I love that everything is near me! I don’t even have to use my car often, I can take my daughter out for a jog to the store get the things I need and throw in that exercise.

November 3, 2013 at 3:34 am
(6) Jennifer says:

I can empathize with Melissa. I am 45 with a 5 year old. I have not worked in several years due to taking care of a sick parent and raising my son. At 45, I am now scared to death about becoming homeless since the jerk I married was fired from his job- the main bread winner.
My marriage turned out to be a nightmare and now I feel like the only way I can back on my feet is by turning to family members. I am extremely concerned about the emotional toll this will have on my son once we leave his father- a father that is no longer able to support him. I’m trying to be strong but an old enemy keeps stopping by- depression. I wish I had the financial means to open a safe house for single mothers and their kids. It would be a place that feels like home- safe & secure.