When someone asks you to do something, what's your typical response? I usually find that before I even consider whether it works for me, or whether I even want to do it, I'm already trying to figure out in my head how I can do it.
For example, a parent that I volunteer with for one of my kids' extra-curricular activities asked me to chaperon a school-sponsored field trip over winter break. I immediately began to think about how I could make it work, even though it's taking place on a day that doesn't fit my schedule, and I'd have to get a babysitter for my younger child if I said yes.
Fortunately, I realized it before I wrote back to the volunteer coordinator, and declined the invitation. And do you know what? Saying "No" felt great! It's okay not to take on everything. Read More...
More About.com Sites Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas:
- 12 Days of Handmade Baby Gifts: 5 Teething Rings
- The 12 Days of Christmas: Getting Closer, Day Five
- 12 Days of Christmas: Party, Party, Party
- Fifth Day of Holiday Merriment for College Families
- The Twelve Days of Christmas Printables: IEP Meeting Alert Levels
- 12 Days of Christmas Preparations